Here is a set of four little landscapes I created with encaustics today. I am really pleased with the framing effects.
With this one I started with my iron and covered the card with blue wax. I then went over to the hotplate and used a brush to paint in the flower, pot and table. I added some texture by using a fan brush and dragging it through the blue. The wooden frame was created by dragging a clean iron around the edge of the painting a few times till I got the required result.
I must admit I had no idea I would like this medium so much.
Well that is the basics done, now to do the highlights, thicken the fur and put in the whiskers. It will take a few hours yet, so far I have spent about 9 hours on it.
I have found two hours per session long enough to tackle this project without getting clumsy with the strokes. That is my limit anyway, others could do it in longer or shorter stints. So this was this is where I got to before lunch.
I am slowly getting there. This is about 3 hours work so far. After I have it scratches out I will go back in with the highlights.
I have started scratching around the eyes, that is my favourite area to start in. I am now starting at the bottom of the board so that I don't rub the graphite off before I am ready.
This is my most ambitious project yet. I have just finished the tracing, now to the fun part. I am scratching on an Ampersand scratchbord 11"x14" or 27.9cm x 35.6cm.
Zilpa van der Gragt.